Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rock Your Own Asana!

Yoga means union. It is a balancing and integrating of your physical, mental and spiritual selves. The benefits of doing yoga are endless, but amongst them, stress relief is key.

Recently, I hosted a week long cleanse in my home, which included a group of 10 people, doing variations on a detox cleanse and practicing yoga as a group.

One of the most powerful things that I took away from this week-long journey was that I can practice yoga every single day, in my very own home.

We moved some furniture and pulled back the rug, put on some inspiring music and threw down our mats and there was our yoga studio!

Now, granted not every apartment will have large open spaces for this, but you don't really need much. Just a mat or a rug, instructions on how to properly do some of the poses, and some quiet time to do them!

There are some helpful resources on the internet that describe poses and the meaning of certain terms.
You can order videos or DVD's of your favorite instructors or find free classes online.

Here are some references that I have used in the past:

Yoga Journal


Yoga To Health (informational site)

Rodney Yee! (one of my favorites cuz he kicks my asana)

Lisa Kazmer! (my partner in crime for the cleanses in NYC)

While the ideal situation is to find a teacher you LOVE and who inspires and guides you to be at your best, you can also
rock your own asana, right at home!!

Good luck, keep it balanced.

xo
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment