Wednesday, April 6, 2011

XOS (Hosh) Community Yoga

Join the Movement


There is a wonderful new yoga studio called XOS (pronounced Hosh) in my neighborhood, right on the border of Williamsburg and Greenpoint. It's a donation based studio, which means that while there is a suggested donation of $10 per class, you are welcome to pay what you can at the time of class. This opens up the opportunity to take a yoga class to so many more members of the community because they don't feel the pressure to have a "perfect experience in yoga class" or decide not to take class because they can't afford a $15 or $20 class.

It also makes newcomers to yoga feel more welcome. They can try out a class and find out if they like it without breaking the bank.

I have been going to XOS regularly now since January and I LOVE IT THERE~!!!!!! I feel safe exploring my practice under the guidance of caring teachers and I feel more connected to both my body and my community.

All of the teachers are volunteers and bring the highest intentions to their classes. I believe that because they are donating their services, they feel inspired to give their very best. It's not just a job for them, you can tell that they genuinely care about their students and the process of opening your heart and mind to being a happier, healthier human through yoga.

They offer all kinds of community based gatherings, chances to meet the teachers and other yogis that frequent the studio, online reading resources through their blog, feature a pose of the month, and in the Summer and Fall they offer classes in McCarren Park as well.

This past weekend XOS hosted a donation drive to support families and communities suffering from the recent tragedy in Japan. You can still donate money through their website here.

XOS is a great example of a pay it forward mentality in business. They offer their students the opportunity to feel the choice they are making when attending a class. It's not a fixed price. You pay what you wish, putting the responsibility on the "consumer" to fully understand the value of what they are experiencing, which in this case is a connection to your body, a chance to relieve stress, a community building effort, and increased energy and flexibility in your body. Pretty awesome.

Check out XOS for a class or email me and join me. I go at least 2ce a week either at 10 am or 6:30 pm depending on my schedule.

See you on the mat!

XOS YOGA
55 Nassau Avenue
(entrance on Guernsey St.)
closest subways
G (Nassau) and L (Bedford)
closest busses B62, B43 and B48
E-mail: info@hoshyoga.org
Phone: 718-599-YOGA(9642)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Deborah! I am happy to see that the positively charged message we send out into the community is clear and gets through to people. Your article I feel depicts our mission better than anything that I have read so far. Keep coming to practice and thanx again for spreading the word.

    Love, Hamid

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO nice to get this feedback from a student at Hosh! As a teacher there I can feel the relaxed yet loving community that's building around the practice and teaching there is like a shared therapy, in all honesty.

    Thanks for this article Deborah!

    XO Alexandra

    ReplyDelete