Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cooking Healthy for One

Some days I just want to swing by the health food store and pick a package of that India space food that you just plop in boiling water and its ready to eat in 3 minutes, like some gushy curry lentils or creamy spinach. Yeah.... but today I realized it was time for me to practice the art of cooking for one. I am horrible at this. I love to cook gigantic spreads that can feed 20 people or a plated gourmet 3 course sit down orgasmic organic delicious meal for 4! But when it's just me eating.... I tend to drop the ball, reach for those already cooked easy to prepare foods or just snack on fruit throughout the day. Today I wanted a meal that would be fantastic and delicious and healthy just for me! So with Indian space food in mind I foraged through my own kitchen for all the ingredients it would take to reach nirvana and 20 minutes later I was smiling widely.










Let's call it Spinach Curry Quinoa with Chickpeas
(not so fancy). Ok how about Vegetarian Bliss! I have to admit I impressed even myself. The recipe was simple:

16 oz can chickpeas
3/4 cup quinoa
1/2 golden delicious apple
handful organic spinach
1 small onion (peeled and chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (peeled & chopped)
2 Tbs Yellow Curry
1 tsp organic olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
dash cayenne pepper

Directions:

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a low heat to caramelize the onion. After 2 or 3 minutes add entire can of chickpeas (including the liquid). Stir in the curry, turmeric, sea salt and cayenne pepper and allow all ingredients to simmer and soften the chickpeas.

Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 cups of filtered water and bring to a boil. Then reduce to low heat and cover with tight lid. Let it cook 12 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and grains are fully cooked.

Wash and dry handful of spinach and shred it into smaller bite size pieces. Slice half the apple into small cubes. Combine apple and spinach and then cover with two heaping tablespoons of the quinoa and fill the bowl with the curry chickpeas. Stir it all up together and let it cool a bit before savoring every bite!

Enjoy! I sat quietly and read a chapter from my favorite book, Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins. If you have never read it, its a juicy cosmic adventure to eternity and beyond, try it.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks delicious! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete